No announcement yet.

Need perspective on the "all-in-one" DCIs like Barco's Alchemy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My personal favorite is always the direct DVI/HDMI ports on the ICMP, instead of those on the IMS or IMB, but this is entirely from a technical perspective. It's simply the shortest signal path, so it has the least delay (can be important for some applications) and least opportunities to get screwed up. The only thing I don't like is connecting devices directly onto those ports, I usually put a HDMI switch I trust in between, but this I do no matter if I connect stuff to the ICMP or IMS/IMB, simply because I'm sometimes worried by connecting cheap consumer stuff to expensive hardware (which in many cases, isn't mine).

But from a user-perspective, I can totally understand the preference for the IMS/IMB ports. If you don't use any external automation and primarily rely on the IMS/IMB to control the system, then for end-users, this may be the more logical choice.

Sound remains a constant pain in the butt for external sources, that's why I either prefer to split it already on the originating device or put some kind of splitter in between to avoid having to route audio through the IMS/IMB. Obviously, this will get interesting if you're using an IMS3000 with Atmos and Dolby's "digital" multichannel amplifier for example...

Comment

Working...
    X