Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCP-2K4 via IMS3000

Hi,

Is it possible to use the SDI connections of the IMS3000 for the DCP playback of a standard DCP-2K4 (no Showvault) and use all the new possibilities if required, HFR etc. via IMS and its certificate?
    My father would then not have to get used to new software in his old days and could continue to use the old infrastructure as usual.

Torsten

I don't believe so but you should direct your question directly to Dolby. The DCP2K4 would encode the HDSDI lines with "Link Encryption", so an Enigma would decode that. You also wouldn't be able to handle HFR because the DCP2K4 with SDI does not have the bandwidth for it.

The short answer is, if that is the direction you are going (IMS3000), jump in with both feet and learn the Web UI. Honestly, since so much is repetitive, it won't be long before someone coming from the Doremi user interface will pick up the WebUI. Cinelister is Cinelister. You are doing the exact same thing with the exact same features just with different colors.

Comment

The pre-DCI Dolphin media block firmware allows you to disable link encryption completely (as do the Dolby DSS SDI media blocks - DSP100 and cat862, even with post-DCI firmware), which would make what Torsten is proposing potentially possible. There is a gotcha, though: with link encryption disabled, you can only play unencrypted DCPs.

Agreed with Steve that once you've got over the shock of the new aesthetic and pulldown menus as distinct from the WIndows 95-style start menu, the applications in the web UI are almost identical, as far as doing the basics is concerned. I'm guessing that the high contrast of the old school Doremi VNC UI, plus everything being pretty big if you're using it on a large monitor, might make it easier for Torsten's father. But there are potential workarounds for that, too, e.g. a browser that makes it easy to enlarge the text.

Were you to try to go the Dophin > IMS3000 HD-SDI route, you wouldn't be able to play 4K, either. That's not an issue if the IMS is in a 2K projector, but if it's in a 4K projector, you'd only be able to play 4K DCPs in 2K.

Comment

Thank's for the Tipps. I will run the WEBUI for him at the same time. Then in the meantime he can see that it just looks different and can get used to it.

Comment

Thorsten, please note, the IMS1000/2000/DCP2000 WEB UI is different (significantly) than the IMS3000 UI. So you may add to the confusion to step him through that. The IMS1000 UI was very menu based by having general menus across the upper portion. Submenus would reveal themselves as one went down the menu.

The IMS3000 UI is very side-bar based (along the left side) with sub-menus across the top.

In both cases, you can from whatever page you are on get to related pages via a single click, however. For instance, in Cinelister, on the IMS1000 web page, you have in the upper-right, hot buttons to go between Editor, Playback, and Schedule. On the IMS3000, via the sub-menus across the top, you can also directly click to the other two portions of Cinelister.

Comment

Thanks Steve, then I'll wait for the IMS3000 to be installed and give him a lesson : )

Comment

Dolby has adopted a standard (sorta..) webUI for the CP850/950, IMS3000, DMA, etc. The legacy Doremi equipment likely will not change - their local and VNC terminals almost certainly and their webUI probably not.
              Personally I have some issues with the Dolby UI, but once understood they are just annoyances. With the Doremi DCP servers there are some oddities in the UIs, where the terminal UI and webUI can't both do some things.
              But any UI has peculiarities. I have trouble with the apparently much loved DSS UI, but I've had much more experience with the DCP UI and haven't really gotten familiar with the DSS one.
              I like that Doremi allowed techs to have unrestricted root access while Dolby (for understandable reasons) gave techs very limited access to the DSS OS. GDC also allows very limited access - at least to me.

I wouldn't make the UI a major factor in picking a server. Operators will get used to what they use, and they all let you do the normal operating procedures.

The alternative content options may be vital, I would concentrate on what will be best for your facility. In our experience the ICMP has been OK with its HDMI and DP inputs. I believe that the Barco ICMP servers disable the CCB DVI inputs on projectors that have them and use the associated projector inputs for their HDMI or DP ports, I may be wrong about that though. I have had issues with audio on HDMI and DP: if you use a lot of Blu-Ray content, using a separate decoder for the digital audio is best: several of our sites use a multi format "home theatre" component for that to be able to handle the various DTS and Dolby formats. A Dolby CP850 or 950 (not sure about the IMS3000) will decode all Dolby formats via its HDMI pass-through, but many (most?) Blu-Ray discs default to DTS and you get a silent movie if you haven't forced the player to not output DTS digital.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Macaulay
                I believe that the Barco ICMP servers disable the CCB DVI inputs on projectors that have them...
                I do, too. I recently had a malfunctioning ICMP (powered up for the first time after several months, so playing silly buggers) that forgot the PCF file attached to the HDMI macro. They don't have a remote access PC (despite my trying to persuade this site to buy and install one for many years), so I made a 190-mile round trip to reset the PCF file. Double checked it was all good, pulled and reseated all the cards, power cycled the projector several times, the usual stuff - all was good. A week later, they were complaining that Direct TV looked pink again. Back I went, and again, the PCF file was set to YCbCr when it should have been RGB. Again I reset it, and again all was good. Rinse and repeat. The third time, I brought an HDMI to DVI adapter with me, and attempted to re-route the HDMI into one of the DVI jacks on the CCB. Having reset the input source to DVI on the macro, no picture. The signal path diagnostics window didn't even show the DVI inputs as a source option - just the ICMP's HDMI, DisplayPort and HD-SDI jacks.

So presumably, the ICP replacement part of the ICMP can only process alternative content signals coming from the ICMP and its video mezzanine, not through the backplane from the CCB.

IMHO, the base clone for the B and C series with an ICMP in it should not include the input files for the CCB's DVI jacks, given that they don't work with the projector in this configuration. It would avoid confusion.

Comment

To shed a little light on this.

First, I concur with most of what Dave just posted above.

On the DVI ports of a Barco (or any DLP S2 projector), the ICP has essentially 2 inputs. Typically, the OEM's DVI inputs come in on one and the SDI or IMB come in on the other (though some send the SDI in on the same input as the DVI and do their own internal switching.

When you put in an ICMP, it doesn't look at the DVI ports anymore and just its own internal server and HDMI (or DP) or SDI. So, I don't know if "disabled" is the right term but disconnected.

As to the IMS3000 and audio via the HDMI port. If you have a full IMS3000 (with the sound processor, with or without ATMOS), then yes, it will decode the Dolby brand audio just like the CP850. If you have a "Server Mode" IMS3000, then it will pass-through PCM audio only on pairs 1-4 (channels 1-8) so any routing needs to be done externally for surround 7.1 or take your chances and route your DCP audio so it aligns with HDMI audio channels. I've been burned by using server channel routing "features." Note, an ATMOS enabled IMS3000 also supports consumer (HDMI) ATMOS. The IMS3000 has an HDMI 2.0 port (can be configured for HDMI 1.4, if HDMI 2.0 confuses some device)...the CP850 is capped at HDMI 1.4.

Comment

We have a Trinnov Ovation2. So sound is not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X