Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » This Is Cinerama

Author Topic: This Is Cinerama
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2007 03:27 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally managed to see "This is Cinerama" in Bradford on Saturday. Still running in its original 3-strip format, a print has recently been struck from the original negatives. It also used the original magnetic soundtrack, plus the beginning b/w reel to introduce the main show.

The effect was quite interesting - although the joins between the three projected images were very noticeable at first, you eventually started to ignore it and just watch the picture as a whole.

What I couldn't ignore though was the fact that the color temperature tended to vary dramatically. It wasn't like fading, with wavering red on the middle of the image, it was more like turning the hue control on a TV to its extremes. Most of the time it only affected one of the three projectors; you could really see the difference where the joins were.

Oddly, the 'bad' scenes seemed to fix themselves upon the next camera cut, as if the discolored film was spliced onto a good film at the cut. The projectionist told me that the original negatives had faded in places - but surely that would be a gradual fade, not suddenly cutting to a piece of discolored film!

Has anyone else seen This Is Cinerama, or knows why this effect would occur?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-04-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably wasn't timed correctly at the lab.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-04-2007 03:45 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it a couple of times. Is this a new print, as in, made in the last couple of years or so? The one I saw (last time was around Christmas '04) looked pretty old and worn to me. It's great news if they have managed to have a new print struck - that can't have been cheap.

quote:
he projectionist told me that the original negatives had faded in places - but surely that would be a gradual fade, not suddenly cutting to a piece of discolored film!
That's actually quite possible. In the very early days of chromogenic tripack, the manufacturing process was very unreliable and inconsistent. It's quite possible that one batch of negative stock could have survived very well, while the next one after it faded very quickly. If different stock types, batches, or even makes were mixed during the production, then cuts between faded and less faded shots, depending on how the negatives were assembled, are pretty common. It's exactly the same principle whereby you can pull out two reels of nitrate from the very same release print even, and find that one of them looks pristine like the day it came out of the lab's drying machine, but the other has already started to bubble and go sticky.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-04-2007 09:10 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, guys, that Cinerama was New York City based. These were not production guys, but cutting edge projection guys. I suspect that on the very first one, many mistakes were made. Troubles with color would not be surprising.

More data can be had from Andy Marglin at Kelmar who spent much of the 1950's installing Cinerama; mostly US cinemas. Louis

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2007 10:18 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
These were not production guys, but cutting edge projection guys
That’s not really true. This Is Cinerama was largely produced and directed by Merian Cooper, the director of King Kong and a man certainly well versed in motion picture production technology.

As to what you have reported seeing, are you sure that is was a newly struck print? For the longest time, the Bradford Museum’s copy of the film was one of the original 1952 prints that had been cobbled together and loaned by John Harvey. It would seem to make sense that portions of the picture could be faded, even on a splice-by-splice basis. All the recent prints off the original neg were (as far as I know) struck by Crest Labs in 2002. I remember John Sittig telling me that, faded negatives aside, they did a meticulous job retiming the film, even going so far as to build a Cinerama screening-room just to QC the restoration. The last time I saw the picture (in L.A. in 2004), the new print looked great, but at one screening there was an obvious color temperature shift in the center panel as a new bulb had been installed in the B projector prior to the show and it had not settled in yet. Could something like that have happened, a lamp or flickering bulb issue as opposed to a print problem?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2007 10:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
These were not production guys, but cutting edge projection guys.
Ha? Are you kidding??? They had none other than Michael Todd himself actually supervising much of the filming in Europe. If memory serves me his son also accompanied him on much of this part of the filming. Now Todd wasn't much of a showman at all was he... but he did make his first million running a construction company in Chicago, he lost that million someplace that I can't remember. He promptly made other millions producing Broadway shows and it was some of those millions that he sunk into Cinerama as a partner. After everyone at Cinerama grew tired of Todd they bought him out and he proceeded to use that dough to have the Todd-AO system designed and built.... Naw.... he wasn't at all familiar with showmanship nor production was he... Oh and don't forget those "cutting edge camera guys at Wall Camera that built those three strip cameras and the cutting edge optics experts at Eastman Kodak that came up with the lenses for those cameras... or those cutting edge sound guys that brought us 7 channel stereo sound... Naw.... every aspect of Cinerama was cutting edge back then from the producers to the screen itself. In many ways Cinerama is still MORE cutting edge than most of what exists today.

Don't forget that the original TIC prints were dye transfer Technicolor and as such had tighter control of color balance and all three strips could be produced simultainously for best color and density match. Technicolor also had the ability to adjust color balance/density on the fly while it was being printed. It is very possible for different takes to be faded at different rates and for abrupt changes to occur in color balance from shot to shot.... not only because of incinsistant processing in those days but don't forget that not all shots photographed were processed on the same day in the same batch of chemicals by the same people and perhaps not even by the same lab in the same country since this production saw several different countries during its shooting . Also the film was shot under some harsh conditions and in some cases the film was probably not processed the same day it was shot because the film had to be flown back to a lab someplace else on slow going propellor driven aircraft.... Letting unprocessed eastman color sit around was a bad thing(and still is) with the complicated processing of Eastman Color back in those days... it also had a much more unstable latent image. Now today its a simple chemical process not much more complicated than processing B&W film...

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-05-2007 03:12 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
For the longest time, the Bradford Museum’s copy of the film was one of the original 1952 prints that had been cobbled together and loaned by John Harvey. It would seem to make sense that portions of the picture could be faded, even on a splice-by-splice basis.
Based on what I remember seeing, that would make sense. Taking Mark's point about the original release prints being IB, that leaves an interesting question: were the inconsistencies Thomas noticed the result of the cobbled together print or mismatches in the colour balance of the original negative stock (be they from original manufacture, the result of fading)? If the cobbled-together print is from IB elements, then Eastmancolor fading of the actual print clearly isn't the culprit.

quote: Mark Ogden
The last time I saw the picture (in L.A. in 2004), the new print looked great, but at one screening there was an obvious color temperature shift in the center panel as a new bulb had been installed in the B projector prior to the show and it had not settled in yet. Could something like that have happened, a lamp or flickering bulb issue as opposed to a print problem?
The guys at Bradford are some of the best in the business, and I've never seen a show there that hasn't been presented flawlessly: so I'm sure that they would have tried to avoid a lamp mismatch. That having been said, the museum has been going through some restructuring and financial issues recently, so it may be that that extra £300 to replace a lamp in one of the side projectors might have got deferred on the grounds that it only gets used once or twice a month.

From my memory of Bradford's TIC print, the worst mismatches are in the Edinburgh Tattoo sequence, in which the left panel goes seriously pink for three or four minutes, and then again during the girls waterski-ing, when the centre panel goes notably off. But other than that I didn't think the colour was too bad, but the print was getting notably scratched and worn throughout.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2007 08:50 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw This Is Cinerama in Dayton Ohio back in the late 1990's, it was announced before the show that Bradford had damaged one of the panels when the print was on loan to them, and that section had been poorly reprinted from faded elements. The rest of the print's color sections were perfectly matched IB technicolor.

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2007 11:27 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was lucky enough to see "This is Cinerama" and "How the West Was Won" at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. Presentation was flawless. Colors were a bit faded and uneven. As others have stated earlier, the overlaps in the image become unnoticeable after a while. During "West" one could easily see clever tricks employed by the filmmakers to hide the overlap. A tree trunk, corner of a building, corner of a room would be placed right at the overlap. Any rough vertical object seemed to work.

I wish I had had my camera on that day. We were invited up to the booth after "West" screening and people were taking pictures. We were also given souvenirs: An envelope with 4 strips of film from "This is Cinerama", the 4th being the soundtrack.

Note: The runaway train sequence in "West" was pretty effective and intense. Large applause from the audience at the end. That has never happened during any recent CGI blockbuster in my memory. Sad to see showmanship gone from filmmaking.

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2007 01:33 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the pleasure of talking for quite some time to the Cinerama guru himself, John Harvey while opening a 20 -plex in Beavercreek, Oh (a subburb of Dayton.) He explained that the process of piecing these prints together isnt perfect, you'll get one reel faded to red,while others look just great. I'm wondering, since you mentioned very noticable edge lines on screen, whether or not the "jiggaloos" I believe they were called, were installed as they should be, (if its the original three strip process that is.) These oddly named devices were, I believe either specially cut aperture plates or a metal plate placed just beyond the gate and to one side that had a saw tooth pattern cut into the side where the images met, it helped blend the two images better from what I understand. John was a very interesting guy to talk to.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2007 03:12 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projectionist actually showed me the 'jiggalo' in the centre projector. It looked like a normal aperture plate, but had sawtooth edges. He even put it in the projector and turned it over a few frames by hand, so I could see it juddering up and down.

The projectionist also told me that the main reason for these jiggalo devices was because where the images from the projectors overlap, you get 2x brightness and a VERY noticeable line leaving an afterimage in your eyes. It wasn't just to blur the image slightly; it was to dim the image a bit at the seams.

Indeed there were also clever 'tricks' to hide the seams in This is Cinerama. For example, a scene near the beginning with a church choir - during the main song, it's set up so that nobody is standing still at a join (though they do walk across the joins when coming into the church)
I also couldn't help noticing that in crowd scenes, some people were obviously looking at the Cinerama camera and whispering to their friends nearby; noticing they were being filmed [Big Grin]

The Bradford Museum website claims that this was a recently struck print, though it did look quite old and worn to me. Several times I saw one of the projectors black out for a split second - obviously the film was so badly damaged it had to be spliced out and replaced with black film (to maintain sync).

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-06-2007 03:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They had to do that with Vitaphone prints all the time, because of the sound-on-disc, so much so that they were marked with a footage number between the perfs at every sixteenth frame, in order to make it easier for a projectionist to splice the right number of frames of spacing in after an accident. I once saw a print from a reel of Lights of New York which seemed to contain more spacing than picture footage!

Phillip Jackson
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2007 07:40 PM      Profile for Phillip Jackson   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finally coming to the US and will be traveling around in April/May next year, Does anyone know if any of the Cinerama Cinemas with be playing any 3 Strip films at that time?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2007 10:30 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Don't forget that the original TIC prints were dye transfer Technicolor
I thought the original release prints from the early 50's were Eastmancolor (with a "Print by Technicolor" credit). I think the only 3 panel Cinerama films that used IB printing were THIS IS CINERAMA's early 60's re-release, HOW THE WEST WAS WON, and THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 03:24 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Crest National Labs in CA did the restoration of this title a few years ago.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: